From: IDREES KAMAL <email@example.com>
Subject: [pakistanpress] Peshawar Declaration
Date: Sunday, May 8, 2011, 7:34 PM
The consensus document of peace loving forces of the province and FATA.
How the terrorism started in AfPak and particularly in PukhtoonLand? What do they want? Who are their friends and foes? How to eliminate terrorism and establish sustainable peace in the region?
Amn Tahrik (Peace Movement)
Eliminating Terrorism and Establishing Sustainable Peace in the Region.
Aman Tehrik (Peace Movement), a conglomeration of civil society organizations, held a two-day workshop / conference on December 12, 13th 2009 in Peshawar on “Terrorism – The Way out”. The workshop was attended by the provincial leadership of Awami National Party (ANP), Pukhtunkhwa Mili Awami Party (PMAP), Pakistan Peoples Party Parliamentarians (PPPP), Pakistan Peoples Party Sherpao PPP(S), National Party (NP) and Awami Party Pakistan (APP). Amongst others, the participants included businessmen, doctors, lawyers, teachers, students, laborers and intellectuals. All agencies of FATA, Swat, Malakand and Buner, areas directly affected by terrorism, were duly represented in the workshop/conference. A significant number of female participants were also present.
The participants unanimously opposed terrorism in all its forms and manifestations. It was decided at the outset of the workshop to discuss the various reasons / factors responsible for promoting extremism and terrorism and investigate the possible ways for our society to get out of this quagmire. Five groups were constituted in order to discuss and identify the political, ideological/strategic, economic, cultural and educational/awareness measures needed to end terrorism. The participants were given free choice to select the group of their liking.
On the first day every group came up with its report of draft recommendations. On the second day each group presented its report before the conference. Every report was critically analyzed, objections raised and recommendations for improvement discussed. After thorough discussions and brain storming, consensus based final recommendations were drawn from the draft recommendations of the respective groups. In a commendable show of unity, members with different political affiliations and shades of opinion succeeded in agreeing upon a single document of consensus.
It was decided that the report of the workshop / conference should be amalgamated into a joint declaration namely “Peshawar Declaration. A five member committee was constituted to prepare the documentation. It was further decided that all the organizations that attended the conference will jointly struggle to translate Peshawar Declaration into actions. For that matter, ten members Coordination Committee (Rabita Committee) was constituted comprising members from ANP, PMAP, PPPP, PPP (S), APP, NP and Amn Tehrik.
Terrorism means to fill someone with fear for the purpose of achieving certain ends. A person can be terrorized by a mere threat of use of force or actual use of force for inflicting physical or otherwise harm. An individual, a particular group, a sect, a nation or a country can resort to terrorism for achieving certain objectives. Those objectives may include money, property or women.
The Current Wave of Terrorism in our region:
Throughout the history of mankind there have been instances when certain men would terrorize fellow human beings for achieving their selfish objectives. The modes of terrorism have been different at different times. All participants of the conference unanimously agreed that the current form of terrorism is the most dangerous one, the worst type. This kind of terrorism is in fact a complex mixture of religious extremism, fanaticism, sectarianism, anti-civilization, anti-humanism and the most ruthless coercion.
The objectives of today’s terrorists seem to be to intimidate humanity by terror to the extent that it is compelled to accept the world order of terrorists’ choice. The present day terrorism is a new form of global fascism. Today a terrorist teacher issues ticket of paradise to his soldier (suicide bomber) with the promise of his marriage with a Hor (beautiful women in paradise) and the soldier confirms the ticket by ruthlessly killing innocent human beings, including women and children! The obvious madness and in-human thinking behind the rationale of killing fellow human beings, including women and children, for one’s material and animalistic yearnings (Pure Wines and Beautiful Women) is beyond any comprehension and does not deserve any sympathy or empathy.
The terrorism in our area is in three shape i. Talibanization ii. Sectarianism iii.Kidnapping for ransom, which is one of the financial sources of the terrorists.
To defeat this kind of terrorism in our region, it is mandatory to understand its causes and modus operandi, without which cure or elimination will not be possible.
Causes of the Terrorism in our Region:
The participants of the workshop / conference agreed unanimously that the current wave of terrorism emanates mainly from two sources i.e. Al-Qaeda and the Strategic Depth Policy of Pakistan.
Al-Qaeda is new form of Arab expansionism under the garb of global Islam. As is evident from history, Arabs imposed their superiority over the non-Arab Muslims with the tool of Wahabism. Al-Qaeda is an organization which has mandated itself to give continuity to the domination of Wahabi Islam over the non-Arab Muslims by terrorizing them. The ingredients, organizational structure, techniques and strategies of Al-Qaeda reflect the same.
The second ingredient contributing to this kind of terrorism is the Strategic Depth Policy of Pakistan Army. The purpose of this policy is to use Jihadi culture in order to counter India, protect nuclear weapons, subjugate Afghanistan and making it the fifth province of Pakistan or give it Azad Kashmir like status. The policy visualized in 1995 that the Central Asian Muslim states would be made Pakistan’s “client” states.
The Strategic Depth Policy of Pakistan Army has a complete background. The official ideology of nationhood on the basis of religion served as its foundation. Cantonments were labeled with the slogans of Jihad Fi Sabi-lil-lah (Jihad in the name of Allah). Big crossing and turn-abouts in cities were furnished with tanks, fighter planes and replicas of the Chaghai hills to make a war-like environment. Instead of a welfare state, Pakistan was made a security state.
The Objective Resolution (1949) gave birth to Mullah-Military Alliance. The same resolution was included, in letter and spirit, in the constitution by General Zia ul Haq. As a result of religious background, war-like environment, security state and Mullah-Military-Alliance, the first terrorist organizations in the names of Al-Shams and Al-Badar were launched in Bengal. The defeat in Bengal should have been an eye-opener for the military establishment of Pakistan and should have ended the military-Jihadist nexus but unfortunately the same policy was practiced in Kashmir, Pakistan and Afghanistan. Terrorist organizations like Hizbul Mujahideen, Harkatul Mujahideen, Lashkar-e-Tayeeba and Jash-e-Muhamamd were installed in Kashmir. In Paksitan Sibah-e-Sahaba and Lashkar-e-Jhangwi and in FATA Lashkar-e-Islam, Ansar-ul-Islam, Amarbil-Maroof, Tahreek-e-Nifaz-e-Shariat-e-Muhammadi and Tahreek-e-Taliban have been operational.
All these organizations were termed as strategic assets. In Afghanistan terrorism was started in 1972. First of all, Gulbadin Hikmatyar was brought to Peshawar and Colonel Imam (of Pakistan Army) was sent to Afghanistan. During that period and till 1978 Gulbadin Hikmat Yar, Professor Mujadidi, Burhan ud Din Rabbani, Pir Gilani and Abdul Rasool Siaf were trained to be the leaders of terrorists’ organizations. When these people conquered Afghanistan, they tried to stop their patrons from interfering in Afghanistan. Thus the strategic assets did not help their patrons. Even then the Army did not learn any lesson and another asset with the name of Taliban was formed which tuned out to be more aggressive and destructive for Afghanistan. During this time the marriage between Taliban and Al-Qaeda took place and they became the rulers of Afghanistan.
Due to the policy of Strategic Depth, the country had already plunged deep into the abyss of terrorism even before 9/11. The riots between Shia and Sunni Sects were a common phenomenon. The suicide bombings in the country were started in 1993. The suicide attack that killed Ahmed Shah Masood was carried out just one day before the 9/11. India and Afghanistan had already been suffering from such attacks. In due time religious extremism spread its tentacles in Pakistan and sectarianism grew. Besides Shia, the Barelvi were also targeted.
This is a historical fact that the US, China, Arab countries and Europe helped Pakistan in its aggression against Afghanistan in order to crush Sor Inqilab there. To quote just one example 24 billion petro-dollars were spent to establish seminaries (religious schools). Military aggression was named as Jihad. The whole environment was favorable to nurture the already strong triangular of Mullah-Military-Militants.
During the rule of the afore-mentioned religious and military components of terrorism, terrorists from Middle East, Chechnya, Uzbekistan, Sin kiang and other parts of the world came to Afghanistan. Thus Afghanistan became the hub of international terrorism. After 9/11, all these peoples were shifted to FATA. No doubt these terrorists are now present in FATA and elsewhere in the country. There is no denying the fact that these terrorists have occupied FATA and some parts of Punjab like southern Punjab and Muridke are their strong holds.
Deference of Perceptions of the people of Pakistan who are directly or indirectly affected and those who are not affected by the terrorism:
Although, Pakistan as a country is affected by terrorism but the whole Pukhtunkhwa province and especially FATA and Malakand are the most affected areas due to terrorism. Not a single village or city of Pukhtunkhwa province is spared by terrorists. The people of FATA and Pukhtunkhwa have virtually become hostages to the terrorists.
The perceptions and opinions of these people and those in the rest of the country, regarding terrorism, its causes, the objectives of military operations, involvement of foreign hands in terrorism and drone attacks, are pole apart. These perceptions and opinions are in sharp contrast and contradiction to each other.
Why is this contradiction?
One of its reasons is the natural one as a Pushtu proverb goes: only that place feels the heat which burns. The second reason is the policy of the government. For example the media policy during General Pervez Musharaf allowed massive coverage to those people who were supporting terrorism. This included some of the retired generals, a few journalists and analysts. As a result, those living in other parts of the country or those who were not directly affected by terrorism were continuously indoctrinated with ideas of these people for about eight years which further helped terrorism. Since people of the war zone have been eye witnesses to all that has been happening there, their perception of terrorism has, therefore, been different and to a great extent a correct one.
A few examples are:
- Through the media, an impression is given that the present terrorism is the continuation of Jihad against the Soviet Russia. That the present terrorists are the same who fought against Soviet Russia and thereafter got settled in the tribal areas of Pakistan for the last 30 years
This impression is absolutely incorrect. All those militant commanders who fought against the Soviet Russia formed their political parties which have now joined the political process of Afghanistan and are deadly against the present terrorists. These commanders include Professor Mujadedi, Burhan-ud-Din Rabbani, Pir Gilani, Abdur Rab Rasool Sayaf, (late) Ahmad Shah Masud’s party, Rasheed Dostam etc.
Only two of those commanders who fought against the Soviet Russia are part of the present dispensation of terrorism, i.e, Gulbuddin Hikmatyar and Jalal-ud-Din Haqqani (who belonged to the same party). The party of Gulbuddin Hikmatyar is no more in existence and only one of his commanders namely Kashmir Khan and a few others are left with him. Jalal-ud-Din Haqqani had already left him and joined the Talibans.
Secondly, Uzbeks, Chechens, Sudanese and terrorists from Sank Yang came to Afghanistan during the period of Taliban. At that time the Soviets had withdrawn and Dr. Najeeb’s government was toppled down. These terrorist did not exists during the war against Soviets.
Thirdly, none of the Pakistani terrorist organizations like Hizbul Mujahideen, Harkatul Mujahideen, Lashkar-e-Tayeeba, Jash-e-Muhamamd Sibah-e-Sahaba, Lashkar-e-Jangwi, Lashkar-e-Islam, Ansar-ul-Islam, Amar-bil-Maroof, Tahreek-e-Nifaz-e-Shariat-e-Muhammadi and Tahreek-e-Taliban had participated in anti-Soviet campaign.
Fourthly, the Taliban in Afghanistan and Pakistan have never had any direct role in the anti-Soviet campaign. Despite this, it was propagated over the media that the on-going war is a continuation of the so-called Jihad in Afghanistan. It is propagated that these terrorists were part of the anti-Soviet campaign and they have been living in the tribal areas for thirty years where they had married the local women and thus became part and parcel of the tribal society. The fact is that in the tribal areas a forefinger is never called a native even if had taken asylum and lived there for centuries. Mahsud tribe of South Waziristan had the peculiarity that it did not allow a single non local to stay in their area during this whole period.
- Another false propaganda over the media is the projected number of foreign militants present in FATA. In the media the number of foreign militants is portrayed as hundred to two hundreds. The reality is that there are 11000 Uzbeks, 6000 Arabs and 9000 Punjabis. From Waziristan to Swat, the number of Pushtun terrorist is merely 4000 but despite the fact the whole Pushtun nation is falsely propagated as extremist and terrorist.
- On other issues such as military operations, peace deals and the fighting between army and Taliban, the people of war-affected areas have quite a different outlook than those living in the mainland. For example the people of the war-affected areas think that the army and Taliban are not enemies but friends. They have been persistently asking the question why the military failed to target the core leadership of the militants in all the 17 military operations in FATA? This is true that during the military operations the top as well as the second and third cadre leadership were neither killed nor wounded or captured. Moreover, the news of the killing of many terrorist leaders is telecasted several times over the media but they are still alive. Commanders like Ibn-e-Amin, Shah Duran and Ikram ud Din are the prime examples of such false propaganda. In Swat, the news of Fazl Ullah’s siege was three times telecasted by the ISPR but in the same month it was propagated through media that he had escaped to Afghanistan. Fazl Ullah’s close associates Muslim Khan, Haroon and Mahmood were arrested by the militants but six months have passed and nobody knows what happened to them. In the past, Sufi Muhammad was arrested and then released in a so-called peace deal which was imposed upon the political leadership at gunpoint. The valiant police of the province on many occasion arrested many terrorists few of them were the most criminal one. The intelligence agencies used took them away for further investigation. These people were kept somewhere for few months. They were released when the government stuck peace deals with the terrorists. It is due to these reasons that the people of the war-affected areas are neither satisfied with the military operations nor do they entertain false hopes.
The people of the war-affected areas demand that these terrorists should be hanged in open space like they used to hang innocent civilian or like what they did to Shabana. These people call for a real and targeted military operation and strongly condemn the dramas in the name of military operations. These people do not support any peace deals with the militants but unlike them the rest of Pakistan talk of putting an end to the military operations and resuming the so-called peace deals.
- The issue of Drone attacks is the most important one. If the people of the war-affected areas are satisfied with any counter militancy strategy, it is the Drone attacks which they support the most. According to the people of Waziristan, Drones have never killed any civilian. Even some people in Waziristan compare Drones with Ababeels (The holy swallows send by God to avenge Abraha, the intended conqueror of the Khana Kaaba). A component of the Pakistani media, some retired generals, a few journalists/analysts and pro-Taliban political parties never tire in their baseless propaganda against Drone attacks.
- The same is true of the discourse of foreign hands in militancy. In FATA there is either military or the afore-mentioned militant organizations. Majority of the local people have migrated to other parts of the country. Those who could not flee are helpless and nothing is in their control. The questions arises which one of the militant organization is not created by the Pakistan army and which one is serving a foreign agenda? If such is the case Pakistan should raise the issue on UN forum or name the organization which is serving a foreign agenda by using the diplomatic channel.
The possibility remains that there is a second or third tier terrorist with a few suicide bombers and he exchanges them for a handsome price. But this is not possible on organizational level and if the chaos persisted for a longer period there is also the possibility that some other countries would jump into the fray or the UN would bring peace forces to these areas.
All the participants agreed that the failure of military operations and the ongoing terrorism which is spreading its tentacles very fast are not because of the inability of the Pakistan army but rather it is a deliberate attempt on the part of our establishment to secure its military assets at every cost.
Terrorism and the Identification of Friends and Foe:
All participants of the workshop / conference agreed upon the idea that every individual, writer, intellectual, organization or country who is against the terrorism is our friend.
Every individual, organization, party or country that provides sanctuary to the terrorists, extend financial or moral support to them or support them in any way like diverting peoples’ attention to non-issues by concealing the truth about them is a friend of the terrorists and hence an enemy of the participants of the conference—an enemy of Pushtuns, Pakistan and humanity in general.
The conference applied the above mentioned criterion to gauge political parties. The participants unanimously reached the conclusion that Jumat-e-Islami, both factions of Jameet-Ulema-e-Islam, Jumat Al-Hadis Sajid Mir Group, Tahreek-e-Insaf, a component of the Pakistani media and establishment are pro-terrorists. All the Baloch Nationalist Parties are apposing terrorism and supporting Drones so they are our friends. Pakistan Muslim League(s) (N & Q) are primarily Punjab based parties, and very closed to establishment. Their stand against terrorism is vague so they are on our watch list. MQM in itself is a terrorist organization. Though MQM is apposing terrorism but this is because that it sees its own terrorism vanishing if the new phenomena enters their constituency.
RECOMMENDATIONS FOR THE ELIMINATION OF TERRORISM
A) Political Recommendations:
1. The conference unanimously agreed that the strategic depth policy is the cause as well as effect of terrorism. The policy caused a thousand times greater harm to Pakistan than any NRO or writing off debts could do. Due to this policy hundreds of thousands people have been killed or injured. The policy has pushed Pakistan into such abysmal depths that its foundations are eroding. The conference concluded that the people of Pakistan would still be resolute to oppose terrorists and the ideology of terrorism even if the US, NATO or ISAF are defeated in Afghanistan and the terrorist capture the throne of Kabul. If the terrorists succeeded in Afghanistan their next target would be Pakistan. Therefore, this policy is destructive for Pakistan and should be abandoned publicly.
2. Those who framed this policy should be tried through judicial commission.
3. Interference in Afghanistan should be stopped at once and it should be treated as a sovereign neighboring state.
4. Sanctuaries of terrorism in FATA, Pukhtunkhwa province and other parts of the country like those in Bara, Darra Adam Khel, Mechanai, Mirnashah, Mir Ali, Kurram Agency and southern Punjab should be destroyed. A brief and targeted military operation should be launched against the terrorists. Half-hearted military operation is only spreading and helping the terrorists. Therefore, the blunders of the past should not be repeated.
5. NATO and ISAF are sent to Afghanistan under UN mandate. NATO and ISAF should stay in Afghanistan until terrorism is uprooted, foreign interference in Afghanistan must be stopped and the institutions of army and police must be established on solid footings. However they should offer a clear time frame for that matter. The US has supported some of the terrorist and it still holds a double standard. Americans are blamed for supporting Jandullah Group. Similarly they are least interested in dealing with the terrorist from Sin Kiang. After the elimination of terrorism, the foreign troops must withdraw immediately.
6. Some political parties, part of the media and establishment are supporters of the terrorists. They are the enemies of Pashtoons and Pakistan. They must be boycotted.
7. The conference decided to improve and promote people to people contact of Af-Pak and demanded that governments of both the countries should not hinder the process.
8. The conference appeals Saudi Arab and other Arab countries to stop financing the terrorists.
9. The Pakistan army should not indulge itself in registration of the IDP’s or Reconstruction and Rehabilitation of affected areas. This job should be done by the civilian authority and the army should concentrate on elimination of the terrorist.
10. Besides uprooting terrorism in FATA, the people of FATA should be compensated for the damage done to them and their properties due to terrorism. A comprehensive developmental package should be planned and the people of FATA should be allowed to choose any administrative system for themselves.
11. The so-called nonfunctional terrorist organizations are still operative in the country. Merely naming them dysfunctional would not help. These organizations should be practically eliminated.
12. The conference demands that Pakistan army and intelligence agencies should not interfere in politics. They should do their jobs for which they have been recruited. Army and intelligence agencies should be made subservient to the parliament and their control should be in civilian hands.
13. The conference believes that every democratic government should complete its term. Any conspiracy to derail democracy will be defeated. The conference condemns the media trial of the politicians and the so-called corruption charges against them. The conference strongly demands that the establishment should stop dividing the political parties.
14. The people internally displaced due to the army operations should be treated as per UN resolutions.
15. The conference agreed that Pushtuns in FATA and Northern Pukhtoonkhwa have been made hostage by the terrorists. The terrorists and security personnel are apparently engaged in fighting but their targets are innocent civilians. Four millions Pushtuns are living as IDPs. Our schools are closed and our youth unemployed. Whether there is chance for festivity or an occasion of mourning terrorism is feared. Our Jargas are the target of terrorism. Jargas and Lashkars are banned in tribal areas. In settled areas gatherings and processions are not possible. Local Pushtuns names like Aimal Khan, Darya Khan and Khushal Khan are changed into Abu Zar and Abu Jandal. Pushtun nation is not only hostage to these terrorists but there is also an organized campaign to Arabize them. The whole world is playing its due role against terrorism but the most affected people of this menace are unable to play their effective historical role. The participants in conference agreed that if Pushtuns are given an opportunity to fight terrorism they would definitely deal with the terrorists in their historical courageous way. It is suggested that a grand Pushtun Jarga of the Pushtun of Pakistan should be called upon under the auspices of United Nations. If possible, Afghanistan Government should also be given representation. The Jarga should deal with the sole agenda “how to eliminate terrorism.” The Jarga should not be arranged on the traditional pattern; rather it should be given a broader touch by inviting all the Khels and tribes so that they can discuss the matter for two or three days. The participation of women in this Jirga must be mandatory. It should be conveyed to all non-Pushtuns that these Jargas are actually time-tested indigenous workshops. We believe that this Jarga would supersede all effective counter terrorism efforts. If succeeded, the same experiments should be repeated with the Pushtuns of Afghanistan.
16. The conference unanimously analyzed that the ground realities suggest terrorism is on the rise and Pushtuns are drifting along the tides of national, social, educational and psychological hopelessness. If terrorism is not uprooted in the upcoming months or if it further increased, Pushtuns would distrust all state institution vis-à-vis eliminating terrorism. In that case Pushtuns will be forced to invite UN peace keeping forces. To avoid the worst scenario, the problem of terrorism should be taken seriously. Participants of the conference were unanimous in their thinking that all responsibility would fall on the shoulders of the Pakistani establishment if UN peace-keeping forces landed in the area and the world finally opted to redraw the marking of various countries in the region.
B) Economic Recommendations:
Fata and Pukhtunkwha province are the most deprived areas for the past 62 years. The irony is that despite of having vast natural resources, Pushtuns are the poorest, the most uneducated, the most unemployed and perhaps the most displaced people of the world. The ongoing surge of terrorism is only adding insult to their injuries. To defeat terrorism, all the deprivations of Pushtuns should be dealt with and their economic problems should be solved.
- All the aid and international assistance in the name of counter terrorism should be spent on FATA, Pukhtunkwha province and other terror-affected areas. The aid should not be diverted to other provinces or institution as is the routine in Pakistan.
- Reconstruction Opportunity Zones (Roz) should be established in FATA and the people of FATA should be given its ownership and they should also be equipped with the relevant technical know how.
- Pukhtunkwha province should be declared as war-affected area and therefore should be financially supported by giving its people exemption from taxes and utility bills till terrorism is uprooted.
- In FATA the damages done due to terrorism should be compensated and a comprehensive developmental package approved to compensate the deprivations of the past.
- An economic database should be established in FATA and Pukhtunkwha province for planning and keeping record of the economic needs.
- Small and medium enterprises and large scale industries should be planned with the aim of imparting technical know how to the local population.
- Fata and Pukhtunkwha province should be granted ownership of the resources of water, electricity, tobacco, gas and petrol and full fiscal autonomy should be granted accordingly.
- Pushtuns living in four divided administrative unites should be merged to gather and made a single united province. Full national autonomy should be granted to this Pukhtoon province named Afghania, Pukhtoonkhwa or Pukhtoonistan. All the liabilities of this province in regard to their resources that are due to the federal government should be paid immediately.
- Canals from Indus should be networked in Swabi, Shakardara, Laki Marwat and Dera Ismael Khan in order to irrigate and cultivatable 80% of the land which will contribute to the overall agricultural output of the country.
- In order to increase the hydroelectricity output, the proposed plans in Pukhtuns land should be materialized.
C) Education and Awareness Related Recommendation:
The need of education and awareness to combat terrorism should be overemphasized. Terrorism is a global phenomenon but it has become the core issue of Pakistan. The rulers of Pakistan openly admit that Pakistan is in a state of war but unfortunately an open willingness to declare war on terrorism is still a far cry. Minor and poorly coordinated military operations have aggravated the crisis even further. A close examination reveals that the menace of terrorism is spreading deeper and deeper into the society by eroding the basic social fabric.
- The government of Pakistan should institute and initialize a concentrated media campaign against terrorism and activities such as dramas, educational pictures, documentaries etc against terrorism should be promoted.
- The media should play its due role in the fight against terrorism. Pro-terrorism broadcasts should be banned. The media should also realize that discussion of non-issues further plays into the hands of the terrorists. The political parties, civil personalities and Lashkars constituted against terrorism should be given proper media coverage. Positive portrayal of terrorists should be discouraged.
- Suicide bomber is the most lethal weapon in the hands of the terrorists. The experience of last many years has proved that the age of suicide bomber is from 12 – 20 years. This age group should be educated that this act is against humanity and Islam. A massive campaign in this regard should be lunched in all the schools, seminaries, every house and village and off course the media should be utilize for this purpose and repeatedly re-telecasted. If we are able to educate this age group it would become unlikely that the terrorists will use their major weapon.
Education and Religious Seminaries:
- Budget allocation for education should be increased.
- Education should be acknowledged as a basic human right.
- Education till matriculation should be provided free of cost and elementary education up to grade 8 should be made compulsory. Female education should be emphasized.
- Admission to higher educations should be based on merit while special arrangement should be made to secure the rights of the backward areas and lower classes.
- Participatory teaching methodology should be introduced in education.
- Corporal punishment should be banned in educational institutions.
- The syllabus of education should be renewed. The curriculum should be designed on broader humanistic goals and the aims of good citizenship.
- Modern scientific knowledge should be imparted on the basis of research and creativity.
- Laboratories and libraries should be declared necessary for all institutions and all areas.
- The need to inculcate the qualities of tolerance, peace and democracy should be emphasized and the contributions of people having these qualities should be highlighted to inspire the youth.
- All the material regarding hate, prejudice and Jihad should be removed from the curriculum.
- Sectarianism and religious hatred in any form should be termed as terrorism and the persons involved in such activities should be severely punished.
- All the seminaries that have direct or indirect link with terrorists should be closed and ‘Fatwas’ (Religious Decree) should be obtained against the terrorists.
- Orthodox seminaries should be streamlined and made answerable to the government.
- Old history of the region and the consequent major historical events should be incorporated in the curriculum.
- The curriculum should cater for broader national, regional and international understanding.
- Healthy co-curricular activities should be made compulsory.
- Gender equality should be ensured in Education and it should be taught to the students. Discriminatory customs, traditions, laws and curriculum against women should be undone.
- Parent Teachers Association/ council should also be made compulsory for every school.
- Students Unions should be reinstated and literary and cultural activities should be termed mandatory in colleges.
D) Cultural Recommendation:
Pushtun nation has 6000 years old strong cultural heritage. Pushtun society and culture is the main target of the current wave of terrorism. Jargas, Lashkars and Collective Responsibility are the three hallmarks of social and cultural fabrics in the tribal areas. Terrorism has targeted these three pillars of the tribal structures in a very organized way. As a result the society has become vulnerable. If we empower Pushtuns socially and culturally it would mean we have won 50% of the war against terror.
1. There is a dire need to instill a new life in Jarga, Hujra and Lashkar and reorganize them on modern modalities.
2. Arts Councils should be established in every district.
3. Community Centers should be set up in every district.
4. Pushtu Literary and Cultural Centers should be organized keeping the Press Clubs modality in view.
5. Literary organizations which are already contributing should be supported and Peace Committees should be organized in all parts of FATA and Pukhtunkwha province.
6. All illegal FM channels should be closed at once and the perpetrators should be severely dealt with.
7. FM channels should be started by the government to promote peace, development and Pushtun culture.
8. The artists who suffered due to terrorism should be compensated on emergency footings The female artists must also be compensated.
9. Fine Arts departments should be opened in colleges and universities and other educational institutions should be encouraged in this regard.
10. Pakistani media should take measures to discourage the negative trends of presenting Pushtuns as backward, ignorant, extremists and terrorists.
11. A national TV channel for Pushtuns should be started.
12. All those cultural activities should be banned which are against the basic human rights especially against the rights of women.
13. In FATA and Pukhtunkwha museums related to the historical, literary and political personalities should be established for example Khushal Khan Khattak, Aimal Khan Momand, Darya Khan Afridi, Umra Khan, Pir Rokhan, Faqir Ipi, Baacha Khan, Abbdul Samad Khan Achakzai and Sanubar Hussain Kaka Ji, Alif Khana Khattak, Malalai.
14. Pushtu should be declared as official language and it should be made the language of education, courts and offices.
15. The sign boards should be written in mother tongue.
We dedicate this document to:
- Those three thousands plus elders and political workers of FATA, FR and Pakhtoonkhwa (NWFP) who sacrificed there lives instead of compromising with the terrorists.
- To those thousands of martyrs of country who even did not know who the terrorist are? And what do they want? even than they were brutally killed.
- To those hundreds of women and children who unwillingly became the source of the fuel of terrorism.
- To Shabana an Artist of Mingora Swat who was brutally killed by the terrorist in bright day light and then her dead body hanged in the chowk (Square).
- To a lady of Waziristan who had the holy book of “Quran” in her hands, bagging for the life of 12 other members of her family. The terrorist killed all the 13 people including her and fired at the holy book “Quran” as well.
Appeal and request:
To all the people of Pakistan in General and those of FATA and Pakhtoonkhwa in particular that if they think that by keeping mum, or shutting their eyes from the fact or running away from there home land will prolong their life or the dark night of terrorism will be over by itself, then they are wrong.
The appeal is that they should rise up to the occasion before the menace of terrorism engulfs all of us. Let’s get united, do what ever share is due to us. This historic fact should be in the minds of every one of us that through terrorism no body can make or run empires nor can they win the minds and hearts of the people. Violence has never been made the law in the history of the mankind.
The slogan of peace is the only way to end the night mare of terrorism and bring forth bright and shiny morning of peace which will never lost.